If you are looking to perfect your game and become the next Michael Jordan or you want a hoop so your kids can make the A team then you are going to want the Best In-Ground Basketball Hoop. You don’t have to play for a team or want to become the next Michael Jordan basket call is a lot of fun to have with your friends and family.
IN A HURRY? HERE’S OUR TOP PICKS…
Last update on 2023-09-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
There are many different hoops to choose from and you may be left thinking “what do I choose” as I was when I wanted to purchase my own hoop so I put together this guide to help. I compared lots of hoops and based the top 4 hoops on build quality and price to leave us with a much smaller shortlist to choose from I normally like to offer five options but I could only find 5 that I think to warrant the top list.
Silverback In-Ground Basketball Hoop
- PRO-STYLE LOOK AND PERFORMANCE — Premier in-ground basketball goal offers the performance of gymnasium-style goal
- OPTION TO UNBOLT AND MOVE GOAL — Anchor mounting offers the strength of concrete and the option to unbolt and move goal. Anchor Kit included.
- RIM FLEXES UNDER PRESSURE — Tempered glass backboard and pro-style breakaway rim that flexes under pressure
- POWDER-COATED PROTECTION — Powder-coated steel pole height adjusts from 7.5' to 10' with all-steel actuator
- LIMITED WARRANTY — Product is backed by a 5-year limited warranty and includes backboard pad and pole pad
Last update on 2023-09-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Getting a basketball hoop for your home is a big purchase and a big decision. Get yourself the best available on the market with the professional style, adjustable height basketball hoop by Silverback. This basketball hoop offers great features that will give you gymnasium quality performance at your home.
The backboard is made in the professional style from tempered glass. It is a full sixty inches wide and features a breakaway rim that offers that wanted bounce. This backboard and rim setup will give you ultimate putback, rebound, bounce, and shock absorption. You will forget you are at your home and start to think you are at the gym due to the quality of the performance of this hoop. Want to adjust the height for different games, different kids, or different age groups? You can. This hoop features a powder coated steel pole that is fully adjustable in height. You can seamlessly adjust it from 7.5’ high to 10’ high.
One of the best features of this hoop is its versatile anchoring system. The new concrete anchoring system means you get the strength of concrete buried hoops with the portability of above ground hoops. These modern concrete anchors make it so you can easily attach your hoop to any patch of concrete, where it will be safe and secure for as long as you want it to be. If you want to reposition or have to move, simply unbolt the hoop to take it down. This is a great and versatile system that makes your hoop somewhat portable and changeable.
- Professional style back board and rim
- Modern anchoring system makes this hoop repositionable
- 5-year limited warranty
Lifetime In Ground Power Lift Basketball System
- 52" Steel Framed Shatterproof backboard is constructed with a polycarbonate surface for strength and durability
- Features Power Lift height adjustment mechanism; easily adjusts from 7.5 to 10 feet
- 3 Piece 3.5" round pole features a friction-weld joint that safeguards against unwanted movement
- Backed by a 5-year limited manufacturer warranty. Adjust the height of the backboard with just a squeeze of the handle
- UV protection and powder-coated steel. Weather resistance to discoloration and rusting
Last update on 2023-09-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
The Lifetime 71281 In Ground Power Lift Basketball System is an innovative and effective basketball hoop that will add an element of professional grade fun to your outdoor setting. It comes with a variety of unique and useful features that elevates this hoop to new heights above the competition.
First, this basketball system features a shatterproof backboard which means you will never have to worry about breaking your expensive new toy. This means you can dunk, jump, slam and shoot to your heart’s content without having that niggle of worry that something might someday go horribly wrong. This is possible because, unlike some backboards, this one is steel framed and made from polycarbonate to give it strength, durability, and performance in a shatterproof package.
The other great innovation added to the Lifetime 71281 In Ground Power Lift Basketball System is the lifting system. Instead of spinning a tedious wheel or messing with a complicated pull cord system, this backboard has an easy to use handle that adjusts the height from 7.5’ to 10’ with the simple raising and lowering of a triggered handle. Adjusting the height of your hoop has never been easier. Once you use this system, you will never want to go back to the old way of doing things. The shatterproof backboard and easily adjustable height mean that this hoop is ready for any kind of fun you can throw at it.
- Shatterproof backboard keeps the system in top shape for longer
- Easy to adjust height takes the headache out of height changes
- 5-year limited warranty from the manufacturer
Goalrilla FT Series In Ground Basketball Hoop
- PRO-STYLE LOOK AND PERFORMANCE - Clear View tempered glass backboard delivers pro-style look and rebound performance
- POWDER-COATED STEEL - Black anodized frame creates a professional, arena-style appearance
- MOVE YOUR HOOP WITH YOU - In-ground anchor kit system cured in concrete with the option to unbolt and move goal, anchor kit included
- INNOVATIVE STEEL POLE DESIGN - Uncompromising strength and stability supported by Three-Point Technology. Includes anchor kit system.
- INCREASE STABILITY - Foundational strength of 1-piece main pole mounted to concrete anchor. SHIPS IN 3 BOXES
Last update on 2023-09-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Upgrade your home with a professional basketball hoop that any basketball enthusiast will love. Tired of cheap hoops that don’t perform well? Sick of hoops that break down over time or fade in the sun? Then you definitely want to take a look at the Goalrilla FT Series In Ground Basketball Hoop. This hoop has been modeled after their professional, gymnasium counterparts and it shows in its design at every level.
The backboard is made from clear tempered glass that gives you the perfect putback and bounce that you expect from a professional basketball hoop. The backboard is a nice 54” in length and features a pro style breakaway rim that will give you that satisfying flex and rebound.
The pole features an innovative three point system that increases stability and durability. The whole system is powder coated black and looks like it belongs on a pro court. The height is easily adjustable with a fluid hand crank and everything anchors into the concrete with modern concrete anchors. No more pouring concrete and stressing about tearing up the pole when you need to move it. Everything about this system is professional, modern and performance focused.
- Professional style tempered glass backboard with a breakaway rim
- Sturdy, durable and functional pole looks sharp and behaves great
- Limited lifetime warranty means you will never have to worry about getting a new hoop ever again
Goalrilla In Ground Basketball Hoop
- BACKED BY LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY - Adjustable height in-ground basketball hoop offering a limited lifetime warranty
- MOVE YOUR HOOP WITH YOU - Strength of concrete anchor system with option to unbolt and move goal. Anchor Kit Included.
- TEMPERED GLASS BACKBOARD - 54”-wide tempered glass backboard for ultimate performance and strength
- ADJUSTABLE, IN-GROUND HOOP - Adjust height of pro-style, breakaway rim from 7.5’ to 10’ using crank actuator
- ARENA-STYLE LOOK - Powder-coated steel pole construction is durable and rust resistant.SHIPS IN 3 BOXES
Last update on 2023-09-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Dunks? Check. Professional style fun? Check. Looks great? Check. Backed up with a limited lifetime warranty? Check. The Goalrilla GS54 In Ground Basketball Hoop with Adjustable Height Backboard and Pro-Style, Breakaway Rim has everything you could ever want or need from a home basketball hoop system. The tempered glass backboard is reinforced with a metal frame making it 10x stronger than non-reinforced backboards while still giving you that classic look and feel of arena style backboards. You will get those perfect putbacks, those game changing rebounds and those satisfying bank shots with this backboard without having to worry about cracking or wear.
This hoop has a modern concrete anchoring system that allows this pole to be bolted down to any concrete surface but allows it to be easily taken out if you ever have to move or adjust your hoop in the future. The pole is a classic black powder coated system that is able to be easily adjusted from 7.5’, perfect for dunking or younger kids, to the full 10’ regulation height.
This is a complete, versatile, and professional basketball system that will be an immediate upgrade for any outdoor sports space or enthusiast.
- Prostyle tempered glass backboard that performs like a gym quality system
- Modern concrete anchoring system allows for strength and mobility
- Lifetime limited warranty ensures the quality for years to come
In-Ground Basketball Hoop Buying Guide
An in-ground basketball hoop is inserted in the ground to ensure that it stays cemented there. This means that not only is there a constant source of entertainment without facing any delay in repeatedly setting up the hoop, but very competitive games with multiple players can also be enjoyed at home.
Why do people choose in-ground basketball hoops over portable basketball hoops?
An in-ground basketball hoop provides multiple advantages over a portable one, such as:
- It provides very solid stability which eliminates the risk of the hoop wobbling or falling down if a player accidentally collides with it or if the basketball hits with too much force.
- It is meant to last for years so the money would be well-spent and there would be no need to change the hoop/system too soon.
- The footprint of such a hoop is very small.
- Also, it is a very feasible option for institutes such as schools, colleges, recreational parks, gyms, and gaming zones.
- It offers the chance to play more boisterous and challenging games as this is the traditional way of playing basketball as well.
- It can easily withstand months or even years of tear and use as well as complicated weather conditions.
What to look for when buying an in-ground basketball hoop?
Analysing these features might help one make an informed decision as to which in-ground basketball hoop to buy.
An in-ground basketball hoop might be mounted to a wall for additional support or it might simply stand on a pole in the ground. Those who want to place the hoop at a quiet corner of the house usually go for a wall-mounted hoop. Others, who want to bring life to their backyard or garden etc. with a basketball hoop, might choose the other alternative.
This is the board to which the rim is attached.
The board can be made from a number of different materials that affect its qualities such as durability, design, and weather-resistance, etc. Some popular materials are acrylic, plastics, glass, and polycarbonate. Moreover, the size of the backboard also matters since larger ones are usually more fun to use.
Apart from this, the backboards often come with engaging designs, patterns, or logos, which can make a difference to those interested.
The idea that an ‘in-ground’ basketball hoop can be portable seems a little oxymoronic, because why would one move something that is already fixed in the ground?
However, due to the anchor mounting which can be unbolted at any time, the hoop can be moved from one place to another. This is especially important for times when one wants to store the hoop away for a long period or carry it along to a new house.
Rigid or Breakaway Rim
These are the two primary types of rims used for an in-ground basketball hoop.
A breakaway rim is attached to the backboard with a hinge and a spring. This means that when a player touches it or dunks the basketball into it, the rim goes downwards. Afterward, the rim swings back to its original position.
A rigid rim, as the name suggests, stays at its position and might break off from its attachment to the backboard if too much pressure is applied.
There are multiple aspects to consider when it comes to the net.
The first is the size of the net as it can be wide or narrow. Secondly, the material the net is made of also matters since materials like high-quality nylon will prevent a tear in the net. Some people also have specific preferences for the colours or mesh design of the net.
Ease of Installation
This is one of the major concerns of buyers when it comes to an in-ground basketball hoop. The installation process might or might not be difficult depending upon the type of hoop bought. However, in general, an in-ground basketball hoop isn’t very easy to install which is why one should only buy a hoop if they’re sure that they would be able to install it.
Frequency of Use
Every sporting good needs to be bought with the frequency of use in mind to ensure the product is worthwhile and stands the time of use. Therefore, the duration and frequency with which one intends to use the in-ground basketball hoop might change the decision from buying a high-quality, 60-inch hoop to perhaps, an average-quality, 54-inch hoop.
What additional accessories or features are offered with the hoop can also help narrow down the choices. For instance, a hoop might come with one or two basketballs and there might be a safety net that prevents the ball from rolling too far away during the game.
Best in-ground basketball hoop brands
In-ground basketball hoops can be purchased from the following brands with premium quality ensured.
Widely known for its high-quality sports goods, Lifetime also manufactures in-ground basketball hoops. Its Height Adjustable Basketball System is one the most popular from this brand.
The 54-inches backboard, which is made from polycarbonate, is very durable, sturdy, and a 100% shatterproof. Moreover, it is weather-resistant which means that it is an excellent choice for use in harsh weather conditions. Thus, this in-ground basketball hoop also lasts for long.
Furthermore, as the name of this in-ground basketball hoop suggests, its height can be adjusted from 7.5 to 10 feet. Moreover, this is no difficult feat since there is a power-lift height adjustment system to enable that.
Also, this hoop is not only ultraviolet-resistant due to its nylon net, but with the double-compression spring in the rim, all the epic dunking actions can also be performed without worrying about breaking the hoop.
Another trusted choice for in-ground basketball hoops, there are plenty of great options to choose from Silverback.
- The 60-inch hoop is often advertised for those looking for adjustable height hoops. This means children and adults alike can use it. Moreover, its breakaway rim adopts the standards that basketball hoops used for gymnastics follow.
Apart from these features, to protect from rust, corrosion, or other damage to the hoop, it is powder-coated. This also ensures that the hoop lasts for long. Lastly, the height of the hoop can be adjusted from 7.5 to 10 feet off the ground.
- Another popular choice from Silverback is the 54-inch In-Ground Height Adjustable Basketball System. The height can be adjusted from 7 to 10 feet. The adjustment process is also fairly simple.
Along with this, the backboard has tempered glass which adds to the popularity of this product. Not only this, but the breakaway rim is held in place to the backboard with a pad. Also, the fact that this hoop is cemented in the concrete properly, means that quite competitive games can be played using it.
Found in 1876 in the United States, Spalding is known globally for its sporting goods. While the company specialises in balls, it is basketball that it is most well-known for. Its 888 Series In-Ground Basketball System is one of the finest models of an in-ground basketball hoop.
The backboard, made from tempered glass, is 60 by 38 inches. Also, the hoop is painted with all-weather resistant colours, making it quite a sight for the eyes and another reason why buyers prefer this hoop over others. Moreover, the sleek pole is very sturdy and has a foam padding to avoid any injury to the players in case of a collision.
Lastly, the height of the hoop can be easily adjusted from 7 to 10 feet off the ground.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you install an in-ground basketball hoop?
Follow the given instructions.
- A hole needs to be dug in the chosen location.
- Cement needs to be added into the hole.
- The pole must be inserted in the hole.
- More cement can be added if required.
- It is necessary to ensure that the hoop is upright and straight.
- The cement should be flattened over the sides of the pole.
- The rim and backboard should be installed.
How deep should the pole be inserted for installing an in-ground basketball hoop?
The recommended depth of the pole in the ground is 48 inches.
How wide should the hole be for installing an in-ground basketball hoop?
The recommended diameter of the hole is 16 inches.
How much concrete is required to fill the hole for installing an in-ground basketball hoop?
Around 12 bags, each with 80 pounds of concrete, will be sufficient. Note well that one or two bags of concrete should be mixed with the water at a time.
How much does the installation of an in-ground basketball hoop cost?
It can cost, on average, around $400.
What hoop is used in the National Basketball Association (NBA)?
The Official NBA Hydraulic Basketball Hoop is used which is made from high-grade steel.
Can you put a hoop on a utility pole?
While hoops can be attached to utility poles, this is extremely dangerous and should be avoided.
How to adjust the height of the hoop?
This varies from hoop to hoop as every system comes with its own set of instructions to increase or decrease the height of the hoop.
I really hope that my guide really helps you get the best in-ground basketball hoop for you and your family, but I must say that you will get what you pay for and going cheap is not always the best way if you want something that is going to stand up to the ruff and tuff of game play.
I don’t have the best of the best on this list as each one of the four is absolutely brilliant and will stand up to many years of gameplay and have you and your family having lots of fun in your yard. If you need one of the Best Indoor Basketballs then check our other guide.